Perhaps you remember reading about the fantastically expensive resorts the United Arab Emirates. You know the ones that were being built on manufactured islands reclaimed from the ocean shaped like palm trees? Well, if you don’t, here’s a couple of articles (ABC and USA Today) to bring you up to speed.
But because your time is valuable, and here at Brian’s Random Thoughts we’re all about giving you the most for your money (I’ll assume the check is in the mail), here’s the executive summary:
- 100 mansions on each palm frond.
- Estimated capacity: 120,000 residents.
- Nothing going for under a cool million bucks.
- Built on land reclaimed from the sea.
- 32 hotels. (Including Trump International hotel.)
- A water park.
- A mono rail.
But there’s two things you probably don’t realize. The first is that there are
two three of these reclaimed, palm shaped islands! Two! Three! I don’t know about you, but just one of these guys blew my mind. Hey, it’s good to know our gasoline dollars are being put to good use. (And I’m gonna need a place to stay once I’m fantastically rich.) 😉
And to prove it, I need to bring up the second point: Two of these crazy cool resort islands are now on Google Maps! (That’s where I got the picture for this post. Doncha just love Google?)
Here’s some quick links to the resort islands:
- The Palm Jumeirah: Google Maps, official website
- The Palm Jebel Ali: Google Maps, official website
- The Palm Deira: official website (Not on Google Maps yet so far as I can tell)